Sunday, February 19, 2012

Reviews


Have you ever read a novel--HATED IT--but couldn’t put it down and suffered through to the last line? Have you ever read a novel--LOVED IT--and found yourself reading it over and over again?  Tell the world why. You have the stage and most readers love to sound off in groups about the books they read.  So why is it so difficult to tell other readers what your reaction to a book was?

What was once a limited audience controlled by publishers, agents and purchasing ability has become a wide open Online  “free for all” and I do mean free. Stories that took years to write are yours for the time it takes to download on to Nooks or Kindles or other electronics; or at a price you can’t purchase a loaf of bread for today.

Keep in mind the struggle continues for new authors as most readers, now faced with the millions of offerings, choose the known over the speculative. It comes down to luck and the ability to attract attention. Hmmm… considered it but just don’t have the stamina to butcher another human just to get noticed; nor do I any longer have the shape for a naked romp through the park. So what's a writer to do...beg.

All publisher leave a spot for your opinion, comment or review.  Next time you finish a novel, give the author a break.

Post a review.

6 comments:

  1. The real problem as I see it is apathy. I experience it daily with my own blog and the articles and short stories I post on Angie's DIARY. Yes folk do read what I write. I know that by the number of hits. But for some strange reason, most are reluctant to comment.

    Asking the 'great unwashed' to write a review, is to them as painful as a visit to the dentist I suspect. Most of the reviews for my own work have been written by fellow writers. Calling for reviews to be written here on a blog, hardly spreads the word to the majority of humanity. Its restricted to those who own and know how to operate a computer Geri. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys, I would rather they posted the reviews on Amazon or B&N as promised. Oh well we can dream.

      No computer (yikes)in this age of everything.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jack to a degree. I've even had friends who have 'promised' me reviews, but never delivered. I think, added to apathy, is fear. As writers, we forget how easy it is for us to put pen to pristine paper, it's our life; it's just what we do. We forget that the general population are probably terrified witless at the prospect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so much stuff on the internet now, and it's all free. People 'farm' free books just to get free stuff, but how many actually read all the books they download?

    Maybe it loses its value if people don't have to make some kind of investment in it. I for one don't like that we've reduced the value of books to something akin to cheap mass market products from a dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to review because I learn that way. I am frustrated by amazon when they ask me to mention where I bought the book. So I took a short cut and became an affiliate. It helps me to recommend books I have read. I love reading but cannot always afford to buy. Sometimes authors are loath to give you the book to read. I cannot review some chapters of a book and pass it off as a book review. Some authors do not comment because they hesitate to tear up an effort that they know has taken that author whose book they review quite a lot to come to the level of having the book out. I like sensitive, honest reviews but definitely vindictive reviews that destroys the authors will to want to write another. Reviewers should learn that one can be honest in sensitive and uplifting way.

    ReplyDelete