Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mrs. Beeston: Journey to a Fantastical World



I was determined to take a few days off from writing after finishing the edits for The Rebels, and I haven't written anything, but it doesn't mean that nothing was done story-wise. I've been thinking about Mrs. Beeston.

First of all, let's start at the beginning.

I was conversing with a writer friend of mine about 'the next big thing.' After a meandering discussion covering mermaids and other such fantastic creatures, I walked away with the determination to write something different, knowing full well it was virtually impossible. There is nothing new under the sun, just different hash jobs of the same things.

What eventually emerged were the seeds for Mrs. Beeston, an elderly grandmother caught up in a whirlwind 'classic' quest fantasy, a la David Eddings' Belgariad, but turning it on its head and doing a semi-spoof. I also wanted to try my hand at a sci-fi/fantasy mix. Not steampunk, more like compu-punk, because that is my other life. It will be a bit like Barbara Hambly's sci-fi/fantasy crosses, but hopefully, my own unique interpretation.

Mrs. Beeston was quite easy to write. She exploded off the page with sarcastic, opinionated, fan-grandmother-type humor. She instantly made it funny.

Then I turned to Trevellian, the wise old mage character who, in classic mentor-fashion, tries to guide his charge through the journey of becoming a hero, albeit a reluctant one. Oh wait, this is Mrs. Beeston; she isn't just reluctant, she wants to take over the story. Did I mention she's a grandmother?


The best way to develop a character, is to write a scene to find the 'voice.' It became very clear that Trevellian on his own, is a very serious character. No wonder I kept getting long, drawn out, virtual sighs in the opening scene with Mrs. Beeston. Okay. He doesn't need to be developed much either, he's already fully formed, and there's going to be trouble...

Now I have a problem because I find that I love Trevellian's character. He's complex and dark, full of twists and turns, not to mention a few ticking bombs. Yes, this is me writing, so simple characters are not in my writing make-up. To say that he's troubled and has conflicts galore would be the understatement of the year.

It is in the development of Trevellian which has defined the world in which they inhabit, which I guess makes sense. It certainly doesn't revolve around Mrs. Beeston who was dropped in with barely a parachute.

In sci-fi or fantasy, I don't think there is an elderly hero like her, at least, not one that I'm aware of, though there are many in the mystery genre.

So the challenge is to walk the tight-rope between my love of the fantasy genre and my desire to turn the classic ideas on their heads. Both are fun, though I wonder if I will eventually have to decide one way or the other. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting. I've found myself wandering more into the fantasy genre lately - not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have come up with a great challenge in Mrs. Beeston. Making this grandmotherly character your heroine, should prove to be interesting, humorous, and complicated. Definitely going to enjoy watching how you manage the plot.
    *thumbup* Geri

    ReplyDelete