Friday, March 9, 2012

More Characters Come Alive


What should I write about for today's blog?

Sester: You should write about me
Adrian: What a terrible idea
Argus: I'm with Adrian. We don't need your head to swell up anymore than it already is.
Adrian: I was speaking generally
Argus: Yes, that too
Sester: You two are just jealous because the women in the book club loved me
Adrian: Nonsense.

Yes, as the boys have indicated, I was at a women's book club on Wednesday night. They were kind enough to pick The Empire as their book for February and were doing a review of it, with me in attendance. Suffice it to say, I was somewhat nervous. Even though I believe in my own storytelling abilities, you never know. I don't expect everyone to love the story or even to like it. A few would be nice. It was a great experience and I got some valuable feedback. Most of them seemed to like the story and loved the characters. Only one of them didn't like it but she thought the story had great potential. All of them wanted to read the second book. The cliffhanger appears to have been quite successful and their favorite characters were Bryce, the comic relief, and of course, Sester. There was a fascination with his character.

Sester: It's understandable
Argus: No, it isn't
Sester: Don't worry. You'll get your turn in the second book
Argus: I'm not like you. I have no interest in attracting attention
Adrian: Nor I
Sester: Then it's perfect, you can leave it all to me. It'll be a public service. I'll even do it free of charge.
Adrian: Don't do anything

There was a lot of speculation about Adrian's back story and about Sester and the Guild. It was wonderful knowing that the hints and clues that I dotted throughout the book came across as they were intended to and added depth and interest to the story. It was hard not to give them spoilers for the remainder of the series.

I love the women of this book club. They were very thoughtful in their analysis and asked very intelligent questions. I hope I was able to add something useful and entertaining to their meeting.



2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you have a book club that is supportive. Seeing that it is all young ladies and Adrian well...even Sester some wouldn't mind going home with LOL!.

    Joking aside, you have life like characters that will stay with the reader after the end of the story. Allowing them to communicate with you and each other on the blog is fun.

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geri. Sester will never let me forget this...

      Delete