Friday, March 2, 2012

Characters that Come Alive

This isn't about writing characters. It isn't about designing characters that pop out on the page. It's about those characters who are so strongly formed that they develop lives of their own, sometimes independently of their creators. This is nothing new. Just ask the authors of the books that you love the most, the ones where the characters are so well defined that they become indelible images.

When it first happened to me--of course, it had to be Adrian, the cold, cynical scientist making snarky comments--I thought that I was going crazy. Is it normal to have characters talking to you as if they were alive. Is it normal for them to have opinions, or refuse to do things, or insist that they like one of the new characters and proceed to act like an idiot around her?

After speaking to my writer friends, it seems that it is perfectly natural.

Whew. So, I'm not going insane.

Adrian: That's a matter of opinion
Sester: Of course, you're not.
Writer: Is that your professional opinion? What am I saying...you're a figment of my imagination.
Sester: I'm a psychostrategist. People are my specialty.
Adrian: He specializes in annoying them.
Sester: Only some people. *grins*
Writer: Why did I give you that irritating grin?
Sester: I think it's endearing.
Adrian: It's a mark of insanity.
Writer: Whose?
Adrian *goes back to work*
Writer: Hello? Are you ignoring me now?
Sester: He's trying to be delicate.
Argus *enters* Delicate? You're talking about Stannis.
Adrian *glowers, but continues ignoring everyone under the guise of work* 
Adrian: Stop adding your own interpretations of my actions
Argus: You always ignore people
Adrian: I do not
Argus: Oh, I forgot, you just pretend to ignore them
Adrian: Shut up
Argus: Hit a nerve?
Adrian: *glares*
Sester: He's not ignoring you now
Adrian (to writer) You brought him in because I was ignoring you
Writer: Did I?

And that's my world of Empire characters. I must admit, they can be quite amusing. Unless they get snippy about something in the story. When they become quiet, that's when something is seriously wrong. It means they're unhappy and are sulking (Adrian: I do not sulk) or are boycotting the story line. (Writer: Why did you think I was talking about you?) (Argus: You do sulk) (Adrian: *glares*) (Writer: Stop it. I'm trying to write this blog) (Adrian: I didn't ask to be included) (Argus: He thinks everything is about him) (Adrian: I do not) (Writer: STOP IT!)

(Writer: Now where was I?) It is much easier when the characters have a voice of their own. (Sester: Need some help?) (Writer: NO!) (Sester: Why are you shouting?) (Writer: Sorry. Didn't mean to shout. Just...leave me alone so I can write, alright?) (Sester: I'll be right here if you need me) (Writer: I won't) (Sester: Wow, you sound just like Adrian) (Writer: Stop it) (Sester: *grins*)

(Bryce: Hey, how come I'm not in this?) (Writer *grumbles something incoherent because this is a PG-13 blog*) (Sester: It is? When did we decide this?) (Writer: There is no WE in this blog) (Sester: I think the other writers might object) (Writer: I'm not talking about them, just YOU) (Adrian: Exactly) (Writer: I'm talking about all of you) (Adrian: Fine *temperature drops a few degrees*) (Writer *gulps* Adrian? Hello?)

Complete silence.

Oh, dear...

6 comments:

  1. No, you are not going insane. I love the way you have constructed this piece. You have a wonderful sense of humor and should offer this to a writer's magazine.

    Elizabeth, this sounds like a tough period in my own writing when my characters decide, and loudly let me know it's their story. It usually occurs when I try to make one act in a way that is contrary to their personality. Especially the 'BAD BOY' types. I have had scenes disappear from the screen without my fingers moving on the keyboard lol.

    Thanks for a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too? :D Which ones of yours does this?

      Delete
  2. All of them. I only write bossy characters especially Arnold the dog, he writes his own dialogue LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny! And true - my characters have taken on lives of their own also. It's an interesting phenonmenon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to know that we're not alone ;)

      Delete