Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Birth of a Novel

Hello, everyone. My name is Larry Ivkovich and I’ve been writing genre fiction for 30 years. I've published several short stories in various online and print markets and my debut novel, THE SIXTH PERCEPT, was published in November, 2011 by IFWG Publishing. It's an urban fantasy with science fiction and horror elements, part of it taking place in contemporary Pittsburgh and part in ancient Japan.

Writing has always been like an "alternate state" to me. It's like when you zone out while driving and wonder how you ended up where you did. Sometimes I'll read what I've just written and can't believe it came from me. I have no set rules for writing - for the most part, I just sit down with a germ of an idea and start and see where it takes me. It's a passion I hope to continue for a long time to come and to share with anyone who wants to tag along for the ride.
At Quiller’s Beehive, I’m going to describe the genesis of my novel – how it began as a very short story with different characters, how it changed and evolved from a confusing mess at 130,000 words to how it ended up at IFWG Publishing as a much shorter, tighter and better story. It was an interesting and enlightening journey, to say the least. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Larry, nice to see you have arrived also. This is a new challenge and we don't seem to be wasting any time.

    Since I have just started The Sixth Percept, I will enjoy reading about its history and development.

    Geri

    ReplyDelete